Struggles of being an Asian

What's up everyone! If you're new to my blog, welcome to Breakfast at Bridget's! To read my previous posts, just click on the links in the blog archive (just click the three lines on the top left corner). Anyway, hi again! It's Brianna and today's post is on the struggles of being an Asian. So, before anyone gets offended, for this post my particular niche are Asians but for those who aren't, please read this with an open mind - you may be able to relate to some of the things I talk about here. Warning: I also may exaggerate so don't take everything literally.
I'm basically ranting, sorry, but being an Asian I am very grateful on how my family has raised me, even if I don't like some of the things that come with being one. Don't think that I am talking crap about my background, thanks.
Expectations
 Let's start with one of the most basic but well-known ones - expectations. Whether it's from your parents, your friends or even yourself, expectations are meant to be met. Or are they? From my own experience and what I hear from my fellow Asian friends, our parents like to have secret expectations that they don't tell us of but we know what they want from us - A's, good grades, being an all-rounder etc. Asian parents love to 'show off' their children to their friends saying what they achieved and saying how good they are (my Mum does that a lot) so I get pressured to be that 'good Asian kid'. But sometimes it may not be your parents who have high expectations. It can be yourself. For me, I have pretty high expectations for myself, in terms of results and achievements.

But I don't work hard or study hard and expect good grades. Here's a life lesson: you can't achieve anything without putting in some elbow grease. Interestingly enough, expectations can come from your friends as well - Asian or not. People expect because you're Asian that 1. you're good at math or 2. you're good at everything and smart. And I don't fit in either of them which is kind of sad to be honest. Anyway, some expect that in every test you do, you will ace it and basically be 1st. If I ever say I'm worried for an assessment let's say, they will always reply saying "There's nothing to worry about. You're good at everything! You're Asian!" Asian on the outside, useless on the inside. It is these unnecessary remarks that stress me out to actually be able to fulfil the stereotype attached to Asians. That I have to be good at most things. I mean you could use it as motivation...but I guess at the end of the day, the final decision is up to you and what you believe in.

Also my parents hate it when I leave rice that is stuck to the sides of my bowl. Gotta eat every last speck, you know.

Is that your _____?
I don't about you, but I know about me, but I absolutely hate when a person sees, let's say a random Asian man on the street that's just passing by and they turn to me and be like: "Hey, is that your Dad?" Yeah, so let's just generalise that every single Asian you see on the street is related to each other, and that that woman there was my Mum, that girl that we saw at the café was my sister and oh that man running was my Dad.

Eg: (this is a true story)
  • ME:  *walks into the classroom*
  • TEACHER:  Hey, there was an asian woman who was inspecting the school...was that your Mum?
  • ME:  (inside) Wtf...you racist piece of - (outside) What...no?!
  • TEACHER:  Oh, really? She came by and she looked like you.
  • ME:  (inside) Yeah cos all asians look the same (outside)...yea no, my Mum doesn't work here. *walks away*
  • TEACHER:  Ah, okay.

  • Yep, because we all look the same so we are all related. Newsflash: not all Asians are related. Either you're being stereotypical asshole or just blind. We may have similar features but why don't we keep random Asian people you see and my actual family two separate things.
    Medicine, Law or Dentistry
    These are the three options open for us Asians. Pick one to study and become one. Either a doctor, a lawyer or a dentist. Oh and I forgot, our alphabet goes like this: A, A, A, A....kidding. But seriously, so many Asian parents want their children to be successful and when I mean successful, it all goes back to those three occupations. Ask my relatives and you'll see that they wanted my sister to become a doctor. When I was younger I wanted to become a cleaner (i know, how ambitious right?) just because I loved walkie-talkies. My Aunt was like "No! No! Once you get into medicine, I'll buy you one." All good jobs start with an A, example A doctor, a lawyer, an engineer...we can't be BSIAN we have to be ASIAN. I totally didn't get that from a meme. Anyway Medicine, Law or Dentistry are the three typical things, the majority of Asian parents would want their children to study. Not forgetting having to learn the piano or violin.

    "Ching Chong" & "Ni hao ma"
    I asked on tumblr for people to message me on their struggles of being an Asian and here are two I received. Thank you for your opinions!

    Anon from Tumblr:
    When someone makes an Asian joke and you don't know what to say, and it shouldn't even be called a joke because it isn't funny. I don't know if they ever were. It's not just "not funny" because it's stereotyping but also because I don't understand how anyone could have that sort of lifeless humour to be honest.

    Anon 2 from Tumblr:
    'Ching chong' or 'ling ling' used by non-Asians. I can tolerate it when it is used by my Asian FRIENDS but when it comes to others, just...no.

    Basically everything I wanted to say has already been said by the anons. But another thing I want to address is people saying "ni hao ma" to Asians. More than once, a person has called that aloud at me and it irritates the hell out of me. Like 1. Don't think that all Asians understand and know Mandarin. 2. Don't use it as a joke or something to just randomly call out on the streets at an Asian. 3. I can't tell if you're being polite or mocking me. So don't use it unless you...I don't know. Moving on.
    Can we see properly?
    Seriously, how can you have the audacity to ask that? Okay we know that my eyes are smaller compared to your genetically big eyes, but unless someone can prove scientifically that Asians are born with some form of impaired vision disease, don't question that. And also, Asians don't see the world like a panorama or a widescreen. Just a sidenote.


    What do you blindfold an Asian's eyes with?
     - Floss.

    Best. Joke. Ever.

    Anyway, that's all for today! Thank you for reading. Remember to follow my blog by clicking the subscribe button (located on the top right side of the page), keep updated on my posts and share my blog with others! I love you all! 💕
     
    Yours forever,
    Brianna Fong
    ∞ ∞      ∞ ∞       ∞ ∞
    QUOTE OF THE DAY:
    "Wings are meant to fly."

     

    Comments