No offense but....

Hi everyone! If you're new to my blog, welcome to Breakfast at Bridget's! To read my previous posts, just click on the links in the blog archive. Anyway, hi again! It's me (unfortunately) and today's post is about the two words, no offense.

The interesting thing is, people say that phrase just before they say something insulting. In my opinion, they might as well not say it all. Just say your insult! The offense has already been taken. It doesn't make the situation any light-hearted or friendlier. If anyone does say no offense before saying something like, "No offense, but that collage you made is really ugly." I just dismiss the first part and take the impact of the insult.

This expression, no offense generally accompanies a statement that could be regarded as insulting, but is not meant to be. The phrase is used just to make a person's statement socially acceptable. No offense, is an idiom meaning "an expression whose meaning is not predictable from the usual meanings of its constituent elements". Basically, when someone says that to you, something bad is likely to follow. They just say so you "don't take it personally", then proceed to disagree with you, comment something offensive to you or something like that.

To me, my meaning of no offense is: I am going to insult you and I will follow it by a litany of comments about anything and everything that is most likely to offend you. I'm just starting it with that phrase in an attempt to ask your forgiveness in advance for the rude and insulting words I will be sending your way.

People don't mean to offend you, because it's politically incorrect to do so openly, so they add a thin layer of sugar coating (no offense) which you will accept, depending on your extent of naivety...and then they say things that will bruise your pride.


Some say it's constructive criticism, but I say it's just superfluous. Got nothing nice to say? Then say nothing at all. So if anyone does do that to you, don't give a crap about it.

Well that's all for today! I hope you enjoyed this post. If you haven't realised, I changed my template!! I wanted a change so I'm going for a modern, modest, clean look. Hope you like it! No offense, but I won't care what you say. Kidding, you are my biggest fans, of course I'll take your opinion into account.

Don't forget to follow me on Google +, I made another BLOG account although I haven't posted anything on it, I'm still editing. I'll link it below. Share my blog with others and keep updated on my posts!

MY NEW BLOG: ephemeralhalloway

Love,
Bridget
----- ----- ----- -----
QUOTE OF THE DAY:
"Do no harm, but take no crap."


Comments